Today, through mediation, the University made the most significant set of moves we’ve seen since before the strike and gave us a much better understanding of their “wiggle room.” We saw that Columbia may be willing to move on their current proposals regarding compensation for MAs, undergrads, and PhDs on appointment, as well as their proposed rates for hourly workers. We also saw the first proposal on summer stipends for workers on 9-month appointments, and movement on their proposal regarding the EOAA process. Although we are still short of where we would like to be, today’s session represents progress, and we will continue to explore these options tomorrow.

So where does this leave the possibility of resuming the strike? How the mediation sessions on Thursday and Friday go will impact our decision to resume the strike. The bargaining committee hopes to come to a decision on this by Friday evening, and will announce it to the unit.

Our next sessions are scheduled for

  • Thursday, April 15, 9:30 am-2 pm; and

  • Friday, April 16, 9 am-2 pm.

Please use this link to RSVP if you would like to attend.